Bird Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bird Paradise

From Amazons - Zebra Finches, we cater for every species here. We are your A - Z of birds.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  ***VOTE FOR BIRD PARADISE***  

Monty

Go down 
+2
Piper38
George
6 posters
AuthorMessage
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female
Number of posts : 1228
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:44 pm

Soooooo, continuing the crappy week.... I had a baby pigeon disaster. :cry: I opened the shed this morning and there was only one chick in the nest. The other one was laying in the middle of the shed floor, covered in blood, a hole in it's back and wing, and not moving at all. I scooped it up and it scared the crappers out of me cos it moved. astonished I thought at first that one of the ratters had got in but there were no signs of rodents and as the other chick was fine I figured Thistle must have done it. He has jingley bell toys and he can't half throw them about. I figured he must of decided the chick was in his way and chucked it or stood on it or something. So I told him off and moved him and Jess into the rabbit run and took the poor little chick up to the house. It was barely alive. I put it on a hot water bottle thinking it might perk up but it didn't. The poor little thing died. So I wander back down the garden to bury it and walk past the shed and there's a kafuffle going on in there - the adult pigeons are ALL attacking the second chick whilst Milton and Alan just watch from a perch. So I pretty swiftly picked up the second chick and he's now going to be handreared. I didn't want to do it, but I sure as hell don't have a choice if I want it to stay alive! And Thistle got a big hug and an apology. How I could of thought it was that great soft old thing, I do not know!

Little Monty is currently on my kitchen table, in a luxurious tuperware box with a tarantula heat mat that I just had lying around (whaaaaa?? Doesn't everyone have one of those lying around??) looking... well... pretty ok considering the good old pecking he got. I haven't got any handrearing mix so I'm hoping Alan stuffed enough food in him until morning when I can get to the pet shop. I still have the jar of baby food I got for Bomber so I might top him up with a little of that before I go to bed.

Wish Monty luck guys! hearthug
Back to top Go down
Piper38
Laurie
Monty Stars1
Piper38

Female
Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:50 pm

:cry: aww im so sorry George! poor thistle, im sure with a carrot & a scratch he was over it pretty quickly..whos the stupid pigeons that pecked the babies? MEAN OLD AWFUL THINGS! I cant stand when birds get aggressive like that!! my valley quails were evil wicked, we had to house them separately or they would kill everything in site.. :cry:

George im keeping lil monty in my thoughts :fingerscrossed: :heart_fill_with_lov
Back to top Go down
http://www.birdparadiseforum.com
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks Laurie!
I was shocked when I saw them doing it. I mean, I thought Thistle had done it rather than them!! They were really laying into the poor thing. They're all sitting on the floor in the corner where the nest was so I guess they decided that was THEIR corner. I've never had that happen before. astonished
Back to top Go down
Bertyboo
Kim
Monty Stars1
Bertyboo

Female
Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 4:28 pm

George i have everything crossed for you, I hope Monty makes it :heart_fill_with_lov

Oh, and give Poor Thistle a cuddle from me hearthug
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 11:18 pm

Monty's still here so he must be doing ok so far. I can't find any handrearing formula in any of the pet shops over here though. I tried 7 different places before work today but ended up ordering some online from Junglegold (after they came highly recommended!) but I bet it won't get here for ages. Tuesday at the earliest as it's a bank holiday weekend. I really hope it's ok to keep giving him the baby food! astonished
Back to top Go down
Piper38
Laurie
Monty Stars1
Piper38

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 7:35 am

alot of people use this formula recipe successfully george..try it until you can get soe exact on hand or whatever kind you use..http://www.cockatielcottage.net/formula.html
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chick
wolverine

Male
Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 12:43 am

sorry to hear about the babies george. i used to have real trouble with my chinese painted quails attacking the finch fledgling on the floor. little sods.
Hasn`t stopped me getting 40 CPQ eggs in the incubator. :lol1:
After selling quite a few finches this week and nearly completeing the new aviary, am hoping for lots more babies from everywhere. lol nearly all the people i sold too asked about CPQ`s and wher to get them??
got a continous zeb finch production line and even a few canary chicks i saw in one nest today. they are very small. only a few days old. might try for a few photos tomorro for you all. How did your budgie eggs go? any joy???
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:32 am

Wooooow, 40?? Gosh, if they all hatch you'll be over run with the things! Hehehe! I only have two and they're a pain in the ass - why do they always feel the need to walk where you're about to put your feet??! Bop Nugget's even worse only having one eye too. I will squish her one day I'm sure! I haven't seen them for sale for ages either actually. See the big ones everywhere though (the japanese?? I think?? I'm not so good with quails!). I noticed the pet shop in shanklin (the one on Regent Street, the name's escaped me!) had some japanese quail eggs for sale in there. 15p! I don't know if they were for hatching or eating though.

Well done on the canary chicks! I remember you saying you'd been trying to breed them for ages. Love to see a photo when you get a chance! One of my canaries is sitting tight on eggs again. Now they have the extra space, I'm hoping she'll stay on them this time. I hold my breath every time I open the shed door until I see her still sat tight on them. I so want baby canaries!

Budgies have so far been a disaster. frustrated I had to move their cage out of the old shed and into the new one, which I did ever so gently and she didn't come out of the box once... until she popped her head out, realised she was somewhere new and refused to go back in again until she'd looked at everything. So the eggs went cold and never hatched. She'd been sat on them for ages too. I've just built the budgies and kaks a mini avairy (literally just yesterday!) and I've put a couple of nestboxes in so hopefully they'll settle down and try again soon. You're still on the top of my list for baby budgies!

Oh, and for anyone wanting to know about Monty's progress, he's doing just fine! Starting to get pretty feathery. I'll have to get a picture of him too, the ugly little bugger! hearthug
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 2:37 am

I forgot, I have one of Monty from the other day already! Duh! :lol1:

Monty Img0813q

He's got a lot more feathers now. full_of_it
Back to top Go down
Bertyboo
Kim
Monty Stars1
Bertyboo

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 4:03 pm

awwww Monty's a cutie :heart_fill_with_lov

I love the fluff on his bonce :lol1:
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 10:27 pm

He's got a Hulk Hogan mullet thinjg going on in that photo! :narc:
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chick
wolverine

Male

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 1:33 am

jees?? at first glance he looks like a minute pelican?? :lol1: sure you haven`t been done flamingo park with a bag george?? lol
and how do i get a pic on my name tag at the side??? comon people...i`ve got just the onw ? hehe
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 4:19 am

Hahah! Nope, defo a pigeon! He's an ugly little git isn't he?! tongue He'll be beautiful when he's got his feathers though. rub hands

Uhhh, your picture thing.... scroll up to the top of the page and find the 'profile' button, click that, then click the 'avatar' one and then click on the browse button to upload a photo from your computer. full_of_it That's one of the few things I actually know how to do! crying_with_laughter
Back to top Go down
Piper38
Laurie
Monty Stars1
Piper38

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 11:56 am

astonished he does have a face only a mommy could love dont he? :lol1: amazing how something so fuggly can turn out so gorgeous! okay okay I know thats mean to say!! BUT C`MON! he looks like he has been boxed in the nose poor lil Hulky Maniac Birdie!!

wolverine wrote:
jees?? at first glance he looks like a minute pelican?? :lol1: sure you haven`t been done flamingo park with a bag george?? lol
and how do i get a pic on my name tag at the side??? comon people...i`ve got just the onw ? hehe

I added one of my favo pics of yours that you posted on here, but its easy to do if you dont like it! just go to profile at top, select avatar, then select whatever pic you want, just make sure its sized according to specifications to fit.. (( its width cannot exceed 150 pixels, the height cannot exceed 200 pixels, and the file size cannot be higher than 64 KB.)) its super easy to do Paul once you do it the first time..
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Chick
wolverine

Male

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 6:47 pm

cheers george. i have a good wolverine one that would go down well? hahahaha
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 1:47 am

Hahaha! :lol1: Do it!!
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 9:25 pm

He's getting bigger! And slightly less ugly!! rub hands

Monty Img0383b

Monty Img0388i
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Fledgling
Daisy

Female
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 1:38 pm

aaaawwwww........... thought dodo's were extinct tho confused
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 2:19 pm

:lol1: He does look a bit like a dodo doesn't he?? I think it's cos his heads far too small for the rest of his body! :narc:
Back to top Go down
Bertyboo
Kim
Monty Stars1
Bertyboo

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2009 6:52 pm

awwwwww he's cute....ish.....if you ignore his head :lol1:

Looks like he's dived head first into his food c_laugh
Back to top Go down
Piper38
Laurie
Monty Stars1
Piper38

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 12:59 am

lol awww george you need to bath your fid :narc: goodness!
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Urgh, I know, he looks like a right skank. I wipe off as much as I can but I'm a bit hesitant to give him a proper bath as he's only got his wing and tail feathers through properly and he's naked under his wings and on his belly and I'm not too convinced the heat mat's really warm enough confused
Back to top Go down
Carol
Carol

Female
Number of posts : 862
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:59 am

OH George I'm so sorry, all my positive thoughts are heading your way.
You did a great job with Catch so I'm sure you are an expert now .... fingers, toes and whatever else I can cross is crossed just for you.

Very cute picture.. You are a cutie Monty :heart_fill_with_lov
Back to top Go down
George
George
Monty Stars1
George

Female

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 8:44 pm

I gave him a bit of a bath this morning and he looks much better full_of_it he's still got a bit of a yellow tinge though! crying_with_laughter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Monty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Monty   Monty Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monty
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bird Paradise :: Guest Nest :: Baby Diaries-
Jump to: