Bird Paradise

From Amazons - Zebra Finches, we cater for every species here. We are your A - Z of birds.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  ***VOTE FOR BIRD PARADISE***  

Share | 

I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Daisy
Fledgling

Female
Number of posts : 282
Registration date : 2009-03-30

PostSubject: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 pm

omg........ jiggle i hadnt looked in nest box cuz id had a busy weekend.......... but had noticed Petal had been spending a lot of time in there.......! Over the last week Jimi has been getting much better at the mating thing but im still not convinced hes actually doing it right........ and then this morning i he called her out when i let them out for a fly so i peeped in and 2 perfect white eggs sitting in middle of the nest box boing shes back in now but jimi is still stitting on the window chattering ..... im not sure how much he should be feeding her as ive never been lucky enought to have had eggs before......!!!!!!

an update on the others ....... rosey hasnt layed anythig despite an extremly active sexlife lol........... do they have to do it while im on the phone to the school........ its sooooo offputting........!!!!!!! and now.....although hes not been feeding her Gilbert been doing the do with gem too.......... now........ i thought as part of the true parrot family they were monogeeerrrr (soz having brain probs cant remember how to spell lol) they had just 1 mate....... but rosey seems fine with it............. shes spending quite a bit of time in the nest box but gem will pop in there too ...... and gilbert occasionally pops in too........... not all at same time hehehehe............ but no eggs yet...... ive had a look through shavings incase ... but no evidence of any eggs or that theyve been eaten or anything.............

so ..... Deb George..... anyone else ....... does thids sound normal ..... what should i be making sure i do ......??!!?? bananasplit :Bananadance2
Back to top Go down
George
George

Female
Number of posts : 1228
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Wow! Congratulations on your first eggs to start off with! jiggle

Firstly, you don't really need to do much at all! :lol1: Just make sure you're giving them loads of food - their regular seed, egg food's important during breeding, fruit, veg, cuttlebone etc - all the stuff you'd normally give them, just in bigger quantities! Try not to disturb the nest too much, if you want to have a look in the box it's best to wait until the parents aren't in (like you did!) as you dont want to go scaring them out the box obviously. To be honest, that's pretty much all you need to do. Keep up with their normal routine and you can still let them out of the cage, but they'll probably only come out one at a time.

The hens do most of the incubating of the eggs so the males should feed them often. If they're not doing that, it might be a good idea to put a food bowl within easy reach of the nest box so the hens can pop out and grab some seed and pop back in again.

As for Gilbert, Gem and Rosey, I wouldn't be too worried about them forming a trio. It happens sometimes with one male and two females. I'd pop a second box in if you have room so the females can have one each. They may well try to share the single box otherwise and if they hatch out quite a few chicks it could get squishy! angel

And lastly, try not to be too disapointed if they don't hatch. A lot of birds will lay an infertile round or make mistakes the first time they try. I really hope it all works out ok though! Kakariki babies are gorgeous!

Ooooooh, I'm getting all excited just thinking about it! rub hands

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 3:32 pm

cheers george .....thats all sort of what i thought........ common sence really.... but it is SOOOOO exciting........... although im hopeing the eggs are fertile........ it would be a surprise if they were .... jimi thought just walking over petal was the thing to do ....and standing on her head...... she wasnt happy with that n scalded him a bit and hes much better at it now...... he gets the right end n everything now .......lol...... ive been giving them dry eggfood for a week or so n they have seed and veg n fruit everyday..... they have grit n pym stuff but i have no oystershell ....... should they have that for the shells...... like chickens.......

:running: :running: :running: :running: :running: :running: :running: :running:
Back to top Go down
George
George

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Hahahahah!! :lol1: Poor old Jimi! Practice makes perfect though! I'm not surprised Petal told him off! :narc:

I don't give my kakarikis oyster shell at all. I tried it a few times before and they just threw it all out the bowl! So long as they have a varied diet and a cuttlebone or a mineral block, they'll be all set! When the eggs hatch, I'd suggest wetting the egg food though, just to make it a little easier for them to regurgitate. It's pretty bitty old stuff when it's dry and I don't suppose it'd be pleasent regurgitating something with corners! astonished :lol1:

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 5:20 pm

oh .... should be ok without oyster shell then ..... they have mineral block and cuttlefish..... i have 2 sorts of eggfood..... one has shrimps n all sorts in and you can feed it dry or wet..... and the other is sorta like moist....... its a bit the consistancy of crumble ....like you put on apple crumble n stuff before its cooked .... i got it to try build Phooey up when he was soo skinny cuz its quite high energy...... so im alternating it at mo :chickie:
Back to top Go down
George
George

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 7:35 pm

Ohhh, the stuff with the shrimps... is it Bogena Universal (or something similar!)?? I give that to my pekin robin. It's got like mushed up bugs in it too, yuk! Heheh! That's ok dry, just the regular egg food stuff is definately better with a little water in! :lol1:

Female
Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 9:01 pm

Congratulation Daisy :lol1:
I can feel your excitement :running: :running: boing
I SO hope your eggs make it :heart_fill_with_lov

Female
Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 9:14 pm

Oooooh well done Petal and Jimi!! I can't add anything to what George has said already... just leave them to it and try (I know it'll be hard not to peek lol) to leave them be. I've seen all the seed and eggfood you have so I know they will be more than catered for lol

Good luck :heart_fill_with_lov

I cant decide whether I'm a good example or a horrible warning ;)
Back to top Go down
Tootsy
Tootsy

Female
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2008-10-31

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 10:14 pm

Just to add what others have said, eggfood should be fed moist - I always use cede but whatever type you use make sure it is moist as in breadcrumb texture. Also add your extra calcium/vitamin additive in this mix, I also add hemp seeds, scrambled egg & tinned sweetcorn (for vit A) they will suck the sweetcorn pieces for the pulp to feed their chicks.
I used to breed kaks many years agao and once had 11 chicks hatch in one nest - parents reared every one to maturity - bless them :Bravo:

Piper38
Laurie

Female
Number of posts : 2069

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 11, 2009 11:11 pm

:heart_fill_with_lov :running: :heart_fill_with_lov YAY!! CONGRATULATIONS DAISY!!! I am sooooooooooo Happy for you!!! I can feel you enthusiasm clear over here hehehe :heart_fill_with_lov :running: :heart_fill_with_lov

Back to top Go down
http://www.birdparadiseforum.com
Daisy
Fledgling

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Tue May 12, 2009 4:23 pm

The eggfood is ORLUX has shrimps n insects n dried fruit in and the other one is like an own brand http://www.junglegold.com/eggfoods-c-10.html

the place i get all that stuff from is http://www.junglegold.com/ id been looking at there old website didnt realise its all been updated....... the link i put up for Deb before was the old one ........ but i like the fact you can buy the seeds individually as well as mixes ..... i dont think the prices are too bad either.

Jimi is feeding petal quite a bit..... if she doesnt come out he hangs in from the hole with his tail sticking out and feeds her in the nest box i think hes doing ok...... she doesnt leave the box for long at a time .... so she seems to know what shes doing at the mo.... but time will tell...... and im trying not to expect too much.....but i cant help :running: :running: :running:
Back to top Go down
Bertyboo
Kim

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Yep! I can still feel your excitement :running: :running:

Seems like Jimi knows his stuff, bless him :heart_fill_with_lov

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 6:09 pm

i took a sneeky peek....... now 4 eggs :prayers:
Back to top Go down
Bertyboo
Kim

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Congrats Daisy :heart_fill_with_lov And of course Jimi and Petal, Bless em' lovey

Female
Number of posts : 2069

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 7:27 pm

Daisy wrote:
i took a sneeky peek....... now 4 eggs :prayers:

:hugehug: Congratulations

Back to top Go down
http://www.birdparadiseforum.com
Tootsy
Tootsy

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Thu May 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Junglegold is within walking distance from me so I have seen their stock of seeds etc. In fact I have know the people for 25 years!!

Daisy
Fledgling

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Sun May 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Tootsy wrote:
Junglegold is within walking distance from me so I have seen their stock of seeds etc. In fact I have know the people for 25 years!!

lol..... the guy at junglegold is really helpful if you have a prob or a special request.......... i just got some of the baby figs and Jimi loves them ...!!!!!

petal is struggling a bit to get height when i let them out for a fly...... im presuming she is extra heavy with eggs........ but ........... can someone explain to me how it all works...... erm....... i do know the facts of life lol..... just dont really know how long it takes to make an egg n all that.....and how many they can have in them at 1 time. i havent seen them mating for a week or so but they were again this am..... but can 1 mating fetilize several eggs........... ?????? i know knowing all this isnt really neccesary but im intregued by the science bit ......... oh n 5 eggs now...... if the first ones are ok they should hatch from about 1st june... so :fingerscrossed: still
Back to top Go down
Bertyboo
Kim

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Sun May 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Oh Daisy, I can't help you with this one but I'm sure someone will be on soon who can.

I do know that my Berty wieghs a ton when she decides to make an egg on her own :lol1:

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Sun May 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Usually birds mate many times when making eggs and most of those times it is done in their nestbox. In fact some of my breeding birds I have never seen them mate but guess they must have done when chicks appear :crazy:
Often the first egg laid is infertile but providing they have been mating then the remainder probably will be full.
Take a look underneath your hen and you will see her swollen between her legs & tail when the egg is about to appear.

George
George

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Uhh, now there's a question! I've been looking on google for some answers but nothing I've found really covers everything you've asked. I found this page -
http://www.hutchingsmuseum.org/Pages/lesson_plan/Eggs_p2-4_Pretest_and_answers.pdf
-which I thought was quite interesting.

I know when birds make their eggs, the yolk forms first and then the outer layers and the hard shell case forms last of all around all of it. I never realised before, but birds are thought to lay eggs so they aren't too heavy to fly. I guess it's entirely possible that Petal might be struggling with flying due to having eggs inside her. Eggs are mostly full of liquidy stuff so, to a little bird with hollow bones, they must create a lot of extra weight. I'm still none the wiser to how many eggs they can have in them at one time. If I was to guess, I'd say just the one. They're born with their eggs like people but rather than only forming an egg/embryo if it's been fertilized, they form an egg whether they've mated or not. This makes me think there'd only be one egg inside them at a time because it's like a cycle but then on the other hand, birds often lay one a day and it must take longer than a day for an egg to be created?! :crazy: I've baffled myself now! :lol1:

I'll keep searching, and if I find anything that answers your questions better, I'll post it!

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Kiwi always had issues flying when she was heavily into her laying, she'd lay one a day and if you can imagine the flying equivilent of 'waddling' - then that was her! lol

Back to top Go down
Daisy
Fledgling

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 18, 2009 3:28 pm

thats exactly how my thought patern went george...... its quite a thing to produce an egg with a shell n everything .......surely that cant happen in just a day....!!!!! maybe they have several at different stages of development n when they lay 1 they start another ???????

shes def got a swolen undercarage ...... and now has a baldy bit where shes pulled feathers out for the nest.....

still :running:
Back to top Go down
Firebird
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Well chickens can lay several every day... I'm off to do some research lol

Back to top Go down
Firebird
Deb

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Back to top Go down
Daisy
Fledgling

Female

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   Mon May 18, 2009 4:04 pm

oh thanks Deb....... confused that was a bit heavy going ......... but well worth it......... thats mad they can form the shell in 1 hour..........!!!!!! and that yep a whole egg is made in about a day.....!!!!!!! theyr little egg production lines im off to give petal more food ..... n a verbal hug LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!   

Back to top Go down

I have eggs ..............!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1