Bird Paradise
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bird Paradise

From Amazons - Zebra Finches, we cater for every species here. We are your A - Z of birds.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  ***VOTE FOR BIRD PARADISE***  

Waffle my Kak

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WafflesMum
Egg
Egg

Female
Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-03-30

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi I've had waffle for a few weeks now, he comes out of his cage every now and then as he pleases. He only seems to stay out a few minutes at a time though and then returns to his cage. Still seems quite nervous of me, been feeding him some fruit apple, grape, carrot, sweetcorn etc but he's not interested in it but I still put fresh in everyday. He's only interested in Parakeet mix and millet, he gets through a millet spray every two days. Is he eating too much of this? I've heard its quite fattening. He's got some toys etc in his cage, any suggestions on anything else I can do for him? Hope toget some photos up very soon :)
Back to top Go down
Firebird
Deb
Waffle my Kak Stars1
Firebird

Female
Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Cant wait to see some pictures of him rub hands

Kaks can be quite fussy when it comes to veg - what I do with mine is mix a small amount of dried pineapple and papaya in with their cockatiel mix and they love it. You can find the fruit in the organic section and it's a little under £2 for a small bag which should last a few months. Try Waffle on some lettuce, mine go mad for it. Persevere with the fruit though, he may change his mind about liking it, fickle lil so and sos lol

Millet is fattening and I give mine 1 spray a week as a treat. Kaks dont tend to get overweight as they're always on the go, though there are exceptions to the rule, is Waffle very energetic in his cage?
Back to top Go down
WafflesMum
Egg
Egg

Female

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:25 pm

I'll keep trying with the fruit and try the dried pinapple and papaya and lettuce. Yeah he's quite active in the cage rarely keeps still unless he's sleeping lol
Back to top Go down
Firebird
Deb
Waffle my Kak Stars1
Firebird

Female
Number of posts : 936

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 6:27 pm

Awww bless him - they never stop do they! lol

Just want to add that Kaks like 'seedy' fruits and vegs like kiwi, pomegranate, cucumber, tomato.... anything with a visable seed if you know what I mean? Dont leave the pips in you apples as they are poisonous, you probably know that anyway Daisy
Back to top Go down
George
George
Waffle my Kak Stars1
George

Female
Number of posts : 1228
Registration date : 2008-10-29

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:13 pm

I feed my kaks mixed millet (the off the spray variety) daily, it's not nearly as fattening as sunflower seeds (or many other seeds actually!). I mix dried fruit in as Debbie suggested and I also pop a few sunflower and safflower seeds in as most birds LOVE them. My birds all get millet sprays too every so often as they provide some entertainment at feeding time.

Try offering some fruit and veggies in the morning before you refill the seed bowl. Apple never gets refused by any of my birds but you can try pretty much anything (except avocado I believe - it's toxic to birds!). If Waffle seems a bit confused as to whether it's food or not, try dicing it and either put it in his bowl in place of his seed for a little while or mix it in with the seed mix. Don't leave him without food that you know he'll definately eat for too long though. Kaks need all the energy they can get!
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Fledgling
Daisy

Female
Number of posts : 282

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:16 pm

broccoli is a good one too has loads of antioxidents in and mine like it..... and mini carot sticks ......frozen peas.....n sweetcorn..... just defrost a few in warm water..... my new ones love grapes.......!!!! :fingerscrossed:
Back to top Go down
Piper38
Laurie
Waffle my Kak Stars1
Piper38

Female
Number of posts : 2069

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:27 pm

I know absolutely nothing about KAKS!! the experts have arrived BUT!! nosepic I am a professional Pic beggar!! rub hands
Back to top Go down
http://www.birdparadiseforum.com
George
George
Waffle my Kak Stars1
George

Female

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 pm

I've just done a quick bit of research for you and found a site with a few suggestions of ways to introduce new foods...
http://www.infosuperflyway.com/articles/topten10.php
Might be worth trying some (or maybe even all!) of the ideas, I'm sure it'll be a help towards getting Waffle to eat his greens! rub hands

And I also found this page about millet that should help put your mind at rest over how much he's scoffing!
http://naturalbird.com/mcwatters/millet.htm
Back to top Go down
WafflesMum
Egg
Egg

Female

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 1:07 pm

Thanks you all so much for you help I'll try all you suggestions, and thanks for the links :)
Back to top Go down
George
George
Waffle my Kak Stars1
George

Female

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 9:52 pm

You're welcome! Let us know how you get on!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Waffle my Kak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Waffle my Kak   Waffle my Kak Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Waffle my Kak
Page 1 of 1